Artificial Intelligence for Media and Humanities (AIMH)
Head: Giuseppe Amato
Web Site: http://aimh.isti.cnr.it/
Artificial intelligence is changing our life in an unprecedented way and will have an impact on society comparable to the advent of the television, personal computers, and the world wide web. Artificial intelligence-enabled technology is increasingly becoming present in daily used devices and services like smartphones, smartwatches, smart tv sticks, personal computers, on-line shopping services, online entertainment services, on-line infotainment services.
The explosion of artificial intelligence, mostly driven by the advances in deep learning, has been significantly favored by the availability of powerful AI specialized hardware and very large datasets to be used to train AI algorithms. In fact, on one hand, GPU-powered devices allow processing huge amounts of training data in reasonable time. On the other hand, digital data produced by people, for instance with their smartphones, and shared on the world wide web and social networks, offer a valuable source of (noisily) annotated data that can be used to teach AI algorithms to perform a wide range of non-trivial tasks.
The Artificial Intelligence for Media and Humanities (AIMH) lab has the mission to investigate and advance the state of the art in the Artificial Intelligence field, specifically addressing applications to digital media and digital humanities, and taking also into account issues related to scalability.
Specifically, the AIMH lab pursues the following research lines:
AI and visual data: investigating new AI-based solutions to image and video content analysis, understanding, and classification. This includes techniques for detection, recognition (object, pedestrian, face, etc), classification, feature extraction (low- and high-level, relational, cross-media, etc), anomaly detection also considering adversarial machine learning threats.
AI and textual data: investigating AI-based solutions to textual data analysis, understanding, and classification. This includes representation learning for text classification, transfer learning for cross-lingual and cross-domain text classification, sentiment classification, sequence learning for information extraction, text quantification, transductive text classification, and applications of the above to domains such as authorship analysis and technology-assisted review.
AI and digital humanities: investigating AI-based solutions to represent, access, archive, and manage tangible and intangible cultural heritage data. This includes solutions based on ontologies, with a special focus on narratives, and solutions based on multimedia content analysis, recognition, and retrieval.
AI and large-scale multimedia information retrieval: investigating efficient, effective, and scalable AI-based solutions for searching multimedia content in large datasets of non-annotated data. This includes techniques for multimedia content extraction and representation, scalable access methods for similarity search, multimedia database management.
- Amato Giuseppe Research Staff
- Bartalesi Lenzi Valentina Research Staff
- Bolettieri Paolo Technical Staff
- Concordia Cesare Research Staff
- Di Benedetto Marco Research Staff
- Esuli Andrea Research Staff
- Falchi Fabrizio Research Staff
- Gennaro Claudio Research Staff
- Meghini Carlo Research Staff
- Moreo Fernandez Alejandro David Research Staff
- Nardi Alessandro Technical Staff
- Savino Pasquale Research Staff
- Sebastiani Fabrizio Research Staff
- Trupiano Luca Research Staff
- Vadicamo Lucia Research Staff
- Vairo Claudio Francesco Research Staff
- Aloia Nicola Research Associate
- Benedetti Filippo Graduate Fellow
- Carrara Fabio Graduate Fellow
- Casarosa Vittore Research Associate
- Ciampi Luca Graduate Fellow
- Connor Richard ISTI Friend
- Lagani Gabriele Research Associate
- Massoli Fabio Valerio Postdoctoral Fellow
- Messina Nicola Graduate Fellow
- Metilli Daniele Graduate Fellow
- Molinari Alessio Graduate Fellow
- Peters Carol Ann ISTI Friend
- Pratelli Nicolò Graduate Fellow
- Rabitti Fausto Research Associate
- Thanos Costantino Research Associate
ADA R&S 2017
Automatic Data and Documents Analysis to Enhance Human-based Processes
A European Excellence Centre for Media, Society and Democracy
Advanced Research Infrastructure for Archaeological Dataset Networking in Europe
ARIADNEplus Meghini TA
ARIADNEplus Meghini TA
Representation and Preservation of Heritage Crafts